This building was dedicated on December 21, 1932, and in 1935
was named "Best of its size in the U.S." by the American
Association of Museums. It is operated by the City of Pacific
Grove, and houses a collection of over 400 local birds as well
as displays of Peninsula flora and fauna.
The Museum started as a small
octagonal building (photo by Tuttle c. 1900), then the Spanish-style
building was erected in 1932 (shown here in a c. 1950 postcard),
then was expanded in the 1980s (shown with Sandy the Whale out
front in 2007).
A large squid preserved by Ed
Ricketts and donated by him is in the Museum collection. Look
for it in the mollusk exhibit on the mezzanine.
Directly across Central Avenue is . . .